The Lowry Flush Hydrant and chuck were in use in Salem since 1868 and were attached directly to water mains. The multiple connections provided options for several steam engines to hook up to the hydrant at the same time; a special chuck, carried on some engines, was required to hook up. Many buildings burned without any water sprayed on them due to the delays of obtaining water by those engines that did not carry chucks for the hydrant.
Fire extinction; Fire hydrants; Fire plugs; Hose-couplings; Water supply
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection must be submitted in writing to the Reference Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.