Created in 1917 by George Ashton, the City Engineer, this map shows the changes the were made to the streets within the burned area of Salem. Before the fire, many of the streets were narrow and/or curved, which impeded the movement of fire apparatus through the streets. New streets and parks are identified by thick black lines; discontinued streets are represented by dotted lines; and widened streets are crosshatched.
George Ashton, City Engineer
Ashton, George; City planning; Redevelopment, Urban; Roads - Design and construction; Road widening; Street names
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection must be submitted in writing to the Reference Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.