Image depicts the completed Lafayette Park. It was dedicated in December 1915. The flagpole, partially seen in the image, was donated by Dr. J. Ackerman Coles of New York City; he also donated a commemorative placque, which was shaped to fit on the flagpole. Coles wanted to commemorate ". . .the enterprise and resolute spirit with which Salem arose from her ashes, looked calamity in the face and rebuilt her walls . . ."
Coles, J. Ackerman, Dr.; Lafayette Park (Salem, Mass.); Memorials - Massachusetts; Redevelopment, Urban
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection must be submitted in writing to the Reference Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.