Originally built in 1875, the Orphan Asylum on Lafayette Street housed aged and invalid adults as well as orphaned children. The establishment was run by the Sisters of the Grey Nuns, originally from Montreal. Later known as the Sisters of Charity, the nuns were instrumental in moving the residents to safety before the fire reached the facility.
City Orphan Asylum (Salem, Mass.); Lafayette Street (Salem, Mass.); Sisters of Charity - Montreal (Quebec); Sisters of the Grey Nuns - Montreal (Quebec)
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection must be submitted in writing to the Reference Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.