Skip to main content

Charles Wallingford Parker (1831-1915) Collection

Charles Wallingford Parker (1831-1915) Collection

1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

CHARLES WALLINGFORD PARKER (1831-1915) COLLECTION, 1860, 1889-1912, 1937

Collection Summary

Repository:The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum 161 Essex Street Salem, MA 01970 Phone: 978-745-9500 Fax: 978-948-6012
Creator:Parker, Charles Wallingford, 1831-1915
Title:Charles Wallingford Parker (1831-1915) Collection
Dates:1860, 1889/1912, 1937
Quantity:0.25 linear feet (1 box)
Abstract:The Charles Wallingford Parker Collection mostly contains materials related to Macullar, Parker and Company, a men’s clothing manufacturer and retail store in Boston, Massachusetts.
Collection Number:MSS 682

Series List

SERIES I. Macullar, Parker and Company Papers

Scope and Content Note

The Charles Wallingford Parker Collection mostly contains materials related to Macullar, Parker and Company, a men’s clothing manufacturer and retail store in Boston, Massachusetts. The collection has been organized into two series.

Series I. Macullar, Parker and Company Papers contains a plot plan of land that was being sold at auction in 1860, two patents, and an advertising brochure for fashions in the fall of 1912.

Series II. Other consists of an advertising piece for the article Marblehead Great Neck by Richard Whiting Searle, an Essex Institute publication written in 1937.

Biographical Sketch

Charles Wallingford Parker, son of Charles and Mary Hildreth Wallingford Parker, was born in Framingham, Massachusetts, on June 27, 1831. He was educated at the Framingham Academy, which he attended until he reached the age of sixteen. He left home and became employed by the clothing store of Addison Macullar in Worcester, as office boy, salesman, and bookkeeper. The firm moved to Boston in 1849; Parker was admitted to the firm in 1860, the name becoming Macullar Williams & Parker. Williams retired from the firm in 1879, and in 1895, after the death of Macullar, the firm became a corporation under the name of the Macullar Parker Company, of which Parker was president. He was also for many years president of the George's River Woolen Mills. In connection with his business, he made many trips to Europe and he became very much interested in horticulture, in which he applied his skill and information to the development of his beautiful gardens at Marblehead Neck on the estate where he made his summer home for many years.

Parker was a member of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, being President in the years 1911 and 1912, the Bostonian Society, the Massachusetts Society of Colonial Wars, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Unitarian Club, the Essex Institute, the Massachusetts Fish and Game Protective Association, the Algonquin Club, the Boston Chamber of Commerce, and the New England Historic Genealogical Society. He became a member of the Lynn Historical Society on September 20, 1909. He died at his home, 228 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, on January 24, 1915.

He married first Mary Jane Schoff (1832-1899) on November 30, 1854, and they had the following children: Mary (1856-1936), Charles Schoff (1860-1930), Herman (1866-1946), Allston (1869-1870), and Ross (1871-1948). After Mary Jane’s death, he married Morgiana Heath Schoff (born 1840) on October 8, 1900.

Index Terms

This collection is indexed under the following headings in Philcat. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.

Cronin, John Mathew
Leavitt, John E.
Parker, Charles Wallingford, 1831-1915
Wesson, James Leonard
Macullar, Parker & Company
Fashion prints
Boston (Mass.)


Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research use.

Administrative Information


Request for permission to publish material from the collection must be submitted in writing to the Manuscript Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum.

Preferred Citation

Charles Wallingford Parker (1831-1915) Collection, MSS 682, Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Mass.


This material was donated by Polly Taylor on August 6, 2015 (acc #2015.016).

Processing Information

Collection processed by Tamara Gaydos, October 2018.

Related Material

The Register of the Lynn Historical Society, Lynn, Massachusetts, Number XIX, for the Year 1915 Lynn, MA: Society, 1916.

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register: Supplement to April Number, 1916, Proceedings of the New England Historic Genealogical Society at the Annual Meeting, 2 February, 1916 with Memoirs of Deceased Members, 1915. Boston: Society, 1916.

Herman Parker Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, MSS 685

you wish to report:

Select the collections to add or remove from your search