The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum 132 Essex Street Salem, MA 01970 Phone: 978-745-9500 Fax: 978-531-1516
Ives, William, 1794-1874
William Ives (1794-1874)
0.25 linear feet (1 box)
The William Ives Papers are
primarily personal in nature with very little material related to the publishing
Scope and Content Note
The William Ives Papers are primarily personal in nature
with very little material related to the publishing business.
Domestic bills and receipts (Folders 1-4) include, but are not limited to, the
following: food, taxes, household expenses, transportation, organizational dues,
contracted services, and medical expenses. Also included are two receipts to Elijah
Sanderson, a prominent Salem cabinetmaker, in payment for the construction of
Correspondence (Folder 5) consists of three personal letters: two to William
Ives from personal friends and one to his wife, Lucy Ives, from her daughter
The miscellaneous papers (Folder 6) include cooking recipes, two poems, an
obituary of William Ives, and a certification of William Ives as an engineman
attached to the Exchange Engine in Salem, Mass.
The Mary Peele papers (Folder 7) include bills and receipts from the estate of
William Ives (1794-1875) was born in Salem, Massachusetts,
on 15 February 1794, the eldest son of Captain William Ives and Mary (Bradshaw)
Ives. Four other children followed: John Mansfield Ives (born 8 July 1799); Stephen
Bradshaw Ives (born 12 April 1801); Mary Ives (born 14 May 1803); and Benjamin Hale
Ives (born 7 November 1806).
On 12 May 1824, William Ives married Lucy, daughter of Perez and Silence
(Gardner) Gardner of Hingham. They had seven children: Mary Bradshaw (1825), Lucy
Gardner (1826), William Hale (1829), Susan Shillaber (1831), Franklin Gardner
(1834), Benjamin Franklin (1837), and Helen May (1843).
From his youth, William Ives was interested in journalism; he apprenticed with
Thomas C. Cushing at the Salem Gazette. On 2 January 1823, he joined his brother
Stephen Bradshaw Ives (1801-1884) under the firm name of W. & S. B. Ives. They
published a newspaper called the Observer. The name was
later changed to the Salem Observer. In 1839, Stephen
B. Ives withdrew from the partnership and George Pease became a partner. The firm
changed its name to Ives & Pease. Ives & Pease printed and published the
Salem Observer from 1839 to 1853 at 230 Essex
Street, Salem, Mass. This partnership was succeeded by William Ives & Co.
However, Pease remained a partner.
From 1822 to 1853, W. & S. B. Ives (and the succeeding companies) were
booksellers, printers, binders, and publishers. From 1822 to 1826, William and
Stephen B. Ives published the Salem Observer at 2 Court
Street, Salem; on Washington Street at the Chase Building from 1826 to 1832; and at
230-232 Essex Street from 1832 to 1853. The partners bought out the bookselling
stock of Samuel West in 1828, and established a bookstore.
The firm published not only Felt's Annals of Salem
(1827, 2nd ed., 1845-1849)--the first general history of Salem--but a variety of
other popular works, especially religious, educational, and juvenile works, plus a
weekly periodical for children called The Hive
Besides selling toys and other juvenile items, the firm became well known for
publishing card and board games. W. & S. B. Ives has been credited with making
the "first board game in America," The Mansion of Happiness, in 1830. In the 1880s,
George S. Parker, founder of the company that later became Parker Brothers, acquired
the rights to the board and card games that the Ives firm had manufactured.
William Ives died on 12 December 1875 at his home at 390 Essex Street, Salem.
His wife, Lucy, died in Riverside, Illinois, on 19 October 1882 at the home of their
This collection is indexed under the following headings in Philcat. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons,
or places should search the catalog using these headings.
Sanderson, Elijah, 1751-1825
W. & S.B. Ives (Firm)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research use.
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection must be submitted in
writing to the Manuscript Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex