The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum 132 Essex Street Salem, MA 01970 Phone: 978-745-9500 Fax: 978-531-1516
Marblehead, Massachusetts Town
7 linear feet (11 boxes)
The collection is divided into
SERIES I. Town and County Records SERIES II. Church Records SERIES III. Wharf and Port Records SERIES IV. Miscellaneous Records
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of town and county records, church records for the Old and New Meeting House, wharf and port records, maps, deeds, and plans and is divided into four series.
Series I. Town and County Records is divided into five subseries: Financial Records, Henry H. Buck Records, Legal Documents, Maps and Town Records. The collection is arranged chronologically within the subseries. The Henry H. Buck Records are mostly comprised of abstracts and handwritten copies of older records created by Henry H. Buck, an attorney in Marblehead during the twentieth century. The remainder of his records is correspondence between him and various clients
Series II. Church Records is divided into three subseries
comprised of Baptismal and Burial Records, Correspondence, and Meeting House
Records. The material contained in the Meeting House Records represents the Old and
New Meeting House. The records contained in Church Records are arranged
chronologically within the subseries.
Series III. Wharf and Port Records is divided into
four subseries: Legal Documents, Sailor's Records, Ship Logs, and Wharf Records in
Marblehead. The subseries of Wharf Records in Marblehead is a collection of papers
from the wharves Atkins, B.Y.C (Bayview Yacht Club), Dixie, Hooper, Quiner, Reed,
Rockmere, Stearn, Tucker, Turner, and Wainwright and contain handwritten copies.
Document types include meeting notes, blueprints, mortgages, deeds, financial
documents, legal documents, wills, and maps.
Series V. Miscellaneous Records is comprised of
records that are labeled at the item level and are arranged alphabetically by item
The town of Marblehead, originally called Massebequash, was first inhabited by the
Naumkeag Tribe, belonging to the Algonquin Nation, led by "Great Sachem"
Nanepashemet. Other than being called Marblehead, the town has also been known as
Foy, Marble Harbor and Marvill Head. The first non-Native American settlers were
British subjects, who came from Salem in the early 1600's. In 1615, however, a
smallpox epidemic lasting four years wiped out between eighty- to ninety percent of
the Naumkeag tribe. On December 12, 1648, Marblehead secured its independence from
Salem and on September 16, 1684, the town was able to purchase the land from the
Naumkeags for sixteen pounds.
Marblehead soon began to prosper as a fishing port and by 1837 the local fleet
consisted of ninety-eight fishing vessels, with ninety-five of these weighing over
fifty tons. On September 19, 1846, however, a massive storm took Marblehead fishing
ships by surprise, destroying at least eleven vessels. This storm marked the decline
of the fishing industry in Marblehead. Today, Marblehead is known as the "Yachting
Capital of the World," due to its participation in local and international races as
well as its displays of various sailing crafts.
This collection is indexed under the following headings in Philcat. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons,
or places should search the catalog using these headings.
Buck, Henry H.
Sons of Temperance (Marblehead, Mass.)
St. Michael's Church (Marblehead, Mass.)
Essex County (Mass.)
Marblehead (Mass.)--Administrative and political divisions--Maps
Marblehead (Mass.)--Church history
Marblehead (Mass.)--History--Societies, etc.
Marblehead (Mass.)--Social life and customs
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research use.
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection must be submitted in
writing to the Manuscript Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
The collection is divided into four series.
Sons of Temperance (Marblehead, Mass.); St. Michael's Church (Marblehead, Mass.); Essex County (Mass.); Fort Sewall; Marblehead (Mass.)--Administrative and political divisions--Maps; Marblehead (Mass.)--Church history; Marblehead (Mass.)--History; Marblehead (Mass.)--History--Societies, etc.; Marblehead (Mass.)--Social life and customs; Marblehead (Mass.); Buck, Henry H.; Lattamore, Christopher; Pitt, William Wharves
Requests for permission to publish material from the collection must be submitted in writing to the Manuscript Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum.